Connect with us

Global

Nigerian Army Reacts To Soldier Killing Final-Year Varsity Student In Calabar

Published

on


The Nigerian Army on Sunday confirmed the killing of a final-year student of the University of Calabar, Gray Agbesu, by one of its personnel.
It was gathered that the accused military officer was deployed to the Calabar Correctional Service facility. The Army in its reaction said upon receipt of information, the soldier was arrested while trying to flee the town to evade arrest.

The Director, Army Public Relations, BrBrig-Gennyema Nwachukwu, disclosed that the soldier, whose identity was not disclosed, was currently in the custody of the Military Police. He said, “The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to a viral video alleging the killing of a final-year student of the University of Calabar, Mr Gray Agbesu, on Friday, 9 July 2021 by a serving soldier deployed on duty at the Calabar Correctional Service facility.”

“On receiving the information, the soldier was apprehended by own troops, while trying to flee the town to evade arrest. He is currently in the custody of the Military Police and investigation has commenced ascertaining the circumstances that led to the killing of the student.”

“The Commander 13 Brigade has visited the scene of the incident and addressed the youths. He assured them of the commitment of Nigerian Army authorities towards ensuring that justice prevails in the unfortunate incident. The Brigade Commander has also paid a visit to the family of the deceased, where he reiterated the army’s resolve to ensure that the family gets justice over the killing of their son. The Commander has equally visited the Cross River State General Hospital, where the remains of the deceased were deposited.

“The Nigerian Army remains a disciplined and professional organisation and will not condone such unprofessional conduct by any of its personnel. The Nigerian Army will continue to operate within the ambit of the law, hence, would not tolerate any act of infringement on the fundamental human rights of citizens by its personnel.

“We assure the family and the community that the soldier will be duly investigated and made to face judicial processes as deemed appropriate by the law.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Global

FRSC Warns Against Night Travelling Over Insecurity, Bad Roads.

Published

on

By

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has advised against traveling by night, citing the deplorable state of most federal roads and increasing insecurity across the country.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) says the FRSC Sector Commander in Kogi, Solomon Agure, made the assertions in a statement on Monday in Lokoja.

Canvassing against overspeeding, Mr. Agure said no good road experience could come out of speeding, overloading, use of phone while driving, use of mechanically deficient vehicles, failure to use a seatbelt, and safety crash helmet, and several other road use infractions.

Mr. Agure said arrangements had been made for the commencement of 2021’s Ember Months and Operation Zero Tolerance to Road Traffic Campaign in Kogi.

He said that the campaign would be carried out under the theme: “Maintain Safe Speed, Avoid Night Travels And Enjoy Quality Road Experience”, and that the safety corps would be on the lookout to enforce strict compliance to laws and orders on the highways.

Mr. Agure said there would be high visibility of the corps on the roads across the state toward achieving the goals of the operation from now till the middle of January 2022.

He said that the command was planning to deploy over 800 personnel, 20 patrol vehicles, four ambulances, and heavy tow trucks for control of traffic.

“It aims at ensuring route lining, clear obstruction and responds to distress calls for all to have maximum road use experience during and after the p, period,” he said.

Continue Reading

Global

BREAKING NEWS: Update Facebook, WhatsApp, And Instagram Creak Back To Life After Unprecedented Outage.

Published

on

By

Users were unable to access Facebook and Instagram late on Monday evening, but many still faced problems on WhatsApp.

Facebook has issued an apology for the outage which impacted the social media giant, along with Instagram and WhatsApp, for several hours late on Monday.

Facebook Engineering said in a statement on Twitter: “To the huge community of people and businesses around the world who depend on us: we’re sorry.

“We’ve been working hard to restore access to our apps and services and are happy to report they are coming back online now. Thank you for bearing with us.”
The platforms had confirmed on Twitter they were aware of issues and worked to resolve them after thousands of people reported outages shortly before 5 pm on 5 days.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Photo Speak: O’oduaa 26th Cultural Day Ken Poly Chapter.

Published

on

By

Continue Reading

Trending